Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze Sauce
Basil Cashew Cheeze Sauce
¼ cup vegetable broth or water (or more as needed)
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup nutritional yeast* (gives the cheese flavor)
¾-1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste) + freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp onion powder (optional)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1½ cups fresh basil leaves (lightly packed)
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 mins or overnight
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Add all ingredients (in the order listed) to a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, and blend until smooth. Easy, right?!
½ Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
8 oz. package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 large or 2 small red peppers, chopped
1 large handful of spinach
Herbamare or salt/pepper to taste
1½ jars of pasta sauce or homemade marinara sauce
1 box of oven-ready lasagna noodles (no boiling required)
Lemon Basil Cheeze Sauce (from above)
1½ cups Cheddar and/or Mozzarella Style Daiya Shreds
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large skillet, add oil, onion and garlic; sauté over low-medium heat for 5 minutes. Add zucchini, mushrooms, peppers; sauté for 10 more minutes. Add spinach; sauté for 5 more minutes. IMPORTANT: Season well with Herbamare or salt and black pepper or else you’ll have bland vegetables.
- Pour about a cup or so of pasta sauce into a 9×13 pan and spread it evenly. Add a layer of noodles, then half the Lemon Basil Cheeze Sauce, then half the vegetables (sorry, forgot to snap a photo of that layer).
- Repeat layers of pasta sauce, noodles, cheeze sauce, veggies. Add another layer of pasta sauce, then sprinkle Daiya Shreds on top.
- Cover with foil and slice a few small vents using a sharp knife. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes on medium, watching closely so as not to burn the edges.